Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Coralee's First Day Of School

I've been sad about this day, August 21, 2008, for the past five years! I thought that if I prepared myself and was sad for five years, than it would make Coralee's first day of kindergarten that much easier, but I was wrong. Last Thursday was a very emotional day for everyone, but also a very exciting day in the life of our little Coralee.
Coralee woke to find that she a received a visit from the backpack fairy. When she opened her packback she found a card, Hanna Montana notebook, two shirts, and an undershirt. She was so excited and had high hopes that the backpack fairy would return the next night. She learned that the back pack fairy only comes the night before the first day of school.













Then, she requested smiley face pancakes for her first day of school breakfast. There's nothing better than a plate full of sugar right before school. Poor Mrs. Twiss! After breakfast she got dressed in her new school outfit, got her hair done, and then came downstairs for more pictures and videos.

As I was videoing her before we got in the car I asked, "So, Coralee any last words before we leave for school?"

She looked at the camera and said, "Bye Mommy. Bye Daddy. I'm gonna (her voice cracked and she started to sob) miss you." She broked down and it was all I could do to not break down right there with her. I turned off the camera and threw my arms around her trying to keep my emotions in tact. I knew that if I cried it would make it worse so I just tried to console her.

We went outside, took more pictures and got into the car. Coralee was very scared to go to school, but I knew that as soon as she went she would love it. She cried some more when we got to school and the bell rang. She cried while she stood in line to go into class. She really cried when Stephen hugged her and said goodbye. But, she stayed in line with tears streaming down her face as she marched into the school turning around to wave goodbye to Stephen, Braylon, Landon, and me.
As we walked away, Stephen looked at me and said, "That was 100 times worse than I thought it would be." However, when Steve picked her up from school she said she loved it and had so much fun and that her teacher said that they were going to have even more fun the next day. She has been happy to go to school every day since!

It's hard to believe that she is old enough to be in school, but when you talk to her or watch her it seems like she should have been in school years ago. She is so grown up and sophisticated sometimes I cannot believe she is my daughter. It is so fun to watch them grow and develop even though it so hard emotionally!

2 comments:

Cristi said...

Your story made ME cry! I'm glad that it all went well (even with the tears) and that she enjoyed her first day of school.

Davis and Laura said...

Ha. Its true, she is very grown up! But what a fun story! I hope that school is going well for her...and that the family is coping well! :)