Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Legacy Award

Yesterday I was in charge of Coralee's class party which was titled, "Blasting Off to First Grade". It was so much fun and I had a BLAST try to plan something that would make the kiddos feel special so that they would always remember the end of their first year of school. Little did I know that I would be the one who would not forget the end of the school year.

Right at the beginning, Mrs. Ortega, the principal, came into the classroom to hand out awards. I had no idea what to expect as Coralee is my first child to go through kindergarten. She handed out attendance awards (if they would have handed out awards based on the number of days kids missed I bet Coralee would have gotten one!!), pride awards, and then Mrs. Ortega began to talk about the Legacy Award. Se talked about what a special award it is and how hard it was for Mrs. Twiss to choose the kids who got it. The award is given in recognition of great character, citizenship, work ethic and helping to continue the legacy at Pennock. She called two kids, one boy and one girl and I thought for sure that would be it and then she announced, "Coralee Lewis" and I have to admit my eyes filled with tears. I was so surprised and again I must admit, I was very proud. I try not to be a proudful person, but it is crazy how much pride can swell within you when it comes to your children. I have had so many prideful moments this year as I have watched Coralee learn and grow into such an amazing little lady. I am so proud of her as I know her father is. We only wish he could have been at the class party to see her get her award.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

welcome back to the world of the blogging!

yeah for coralee! that's who i would have picked if i was miss twiss.