Wednesday, May 12, 2010

End of School Madness!!

Wow! I had no idea how crazy the end of the year could be with a child in first grade and one in preschool! It is kickin' my butt! And it was proven tonight when I total had a freak out and lost it on my children!!We have been running a million miles an hour between school activities, baseball, piano, and life. I knew the craziness was taking its toll, but I had no idea that I was on the edge and my children acutally forced me to jump this evening!

I've been pretty emotional as of late, but last week had been such a great week. I didn't lose my temper or yell all week long (that is good for me!) and I had a great Mother's Day so I was sure that I was off to a new and improved me. Wow, how a crazy week and crazy kids can change all of that!

Today has been one of those where my boys have been losing it at the drop of a hat! They have thrown so many fits and I have tried to remain patient throughout them, but it gets draining. I have been at Coralee's school almost all day because she made the talent show and there were two performances today. I've been running in and out and all day long and I just wanted to have a smooth evening where everyone listened and cooperated and just did what I asked!

Keep dreamin' Rachel. No one would listen to me. I had to ask my children several times to do things and they still didn't listen. I wanted my boys in bed by 7:30 and so we were on our way when I tried to have prayers and scriptures, but they had been running around making each other laugh and they were all wound up!! All I asked is that they be quite for a few minutes and when they didn't do that I jumped from my ledge and the sparks flew.

Anyway, after about 30 minutes of crying and feeling like it was probably time to retire, I thought about Coralee and the fact that she hadn't practiced her piano and how she always fights me to do it. I then thought of how many times she has wanted to give up, but she has kept at it and she is turning into such a great little piano player. Of course I had an analogy pop into my head!!! And I realized that being a mom is alot like becoming a great pianist. Ya, I was learning a lesson from a lesson I had tried to teach my daughter. I realized that being a great mom doesn't happen over night. It takes years of practice and giving up was not the answer. Each freak out and every moment of weekness is something that I can learn from and use to my advantage to help me become better. Practice makes perfect and I won't be perfect in this life time, so I guess I'll just have to keep on practicing! Thanks for a great lesson kiddos!

Here's a letter from my Coralee! While I was freaking out, she was writing me words of encouragement!! I don't know what I'd do without her!

Translation:

"Dear Mom,

We are ungrateful fools and we should appreciate everything you do for us. I love you more than anyone. Love Coralee"

Ya, I think I told my children they are ungrateful and do not appreciate me! Wow, she has good listening ears. I owe that one to her teacher Mrs. Twiss.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good analogy of the mothering/piano practice! I need lots more practice obviously after the days we've been having here recently!!