Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gratitude

I have been sitting at my kitchen table putting together Christmas presents for friends and family and my house has been silent! Silent from children's yelling, screaming, fighting, and the list could go on! All three of my children are sleeping right now and I have to tell you it is heaven on earth right here Brighton.

Well, it has not been completely silent, I have been listening to Christmas music and it has moved me to tears several times. Maneheim Steamrollers is a Sorensen favorite and so many of the songs remind me of my dad. I am listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at the moment and as my home has been filled with such soft, spiritual music I have truly began to feel the reason for the season. I have so much gratitude right now for my Savior, family, friends, and blessings.

As I've been sitting and working, it started to snow. Of course my first thought is of my husband driving home in his little Nissan Altima on bad roads and in bad weather. But after saying a little prayer for him, I stared out the window and watched the snow falling. It felt like Christmas. This month has been filled with activities, shopping, parties, and hustle and bustle. This past week was supposed to be filled as well until Braylon threw up all over my friend Amy's house! (So sorry Amy!) The poor little man has been so sick. He got better for two days and then he threw up again last night! I've had to cancel preschool, candy making for neighbors and co-workers, our hot chocolate party, and play dates my kids have wanted to have. Of course I was feeling sorry for myself when I was being thrown up on over and over again by Braylon on Monday, but looking back illness has made me slow down and enjoy what this time of year is all about. My family, pondering over my blessings, and giving. What started out as one of the worst weeks ever has become one of greatest weeks of my month. Funny how life works isn't it? For all life's quirks, hardships, and up and downs I truly am grateful for this week.

3 comments:

amy said...

Way to see the bright side in the stomach flu! Sorry Bray has been so sick but what a touching post you just made. May we all slow down and remember the real reason for the season!

Heidi said...

Thanks for the reminder! You are one of a kind Rachel Lewis!

XOXO

Anonymous said...

I forgot to get your blog address yesterday, but I tracked you down :) That was a great post, I hope everyone is feeling better!