Thursday, August 13, 2009

Another First

Aging is SURREAL . . . sometimes I feel like I am running in a race and life is just a blur as I sprint by.

It seems like only yesterday, I was lying in bed nervous and scared for my first day of school. I remember closing my eyes so tight praying that the tighter I squeezed my eyes, the faster I’d fall asleep. After what felt like hours, I would open my eyes and much to my despair I would not only still be awake, but only minutes had passed.

This memory came flooding back as I went to check on Coralee last night and I saw her in her bed with her eyes squeezed tight. I thought she was asleep, but when I touched her hair, her eyes flew open and she looked at me with big brown deer in the headlight eyes. I had scared her. She was nervous about her FIRST day of FIRST grade. I told her I knew how she felt and that if I could survive the first day of first grade, so could she.

Sure enough, she fell asleep and she is surviving her FIRST day of FIRST grade, however it is only 11:21 and she still has four hours left! On the other hand, I am not doing as well as I had expected. I have been so excited for Coralee to start school and go for a whole day, but after getting her to school late and missing her march into her school doors (Steve and the boys were there. I was parking the car), I must admit I feel rather melancholy. I feel like I have just finished one leg of a race and as I sit back and reflect, it doesn’t seem possible that my baby girl is old enough to be in all day school!!! Life is flying by too quickly. I need to slow down and enjoy it more.

Here is our little princess in her first day of school outfit.

2 comments:

nettie said...

cute!

Heidi said...

what a cute girl! I am sure she loved it!